Summer time in San Francisco means that the fog rolls in come evening. There are bouts when the sun might peak through during the day, but overall it is a somber and chilly weather. This hasn't been helping my overall faculty in the passing week. Needless to say, I have been kinda bummed out these days and when I find I am down I like to make nice wholesome meals for myself. By the literal act of feeding myself, it reminds me that I am taking care to take care of me. I wanted to prepare a meal that was both nourishing and comforting. This week I made a hamburger beef stew and a vegan pasta salad. I looked up some recipes to get ideas. Usually I am very particular and meticulous about following directions, but ultimately made them to my own specifications. It was a nice change to cut loose and have a bit of fun. By doing this I discovered unexpected, but pleasant surprises within each of the dishes. For instance, by adding a turnip I noticed it really brought a light, crisp sweetness to the overall flavor in the stew. The pinto beans in the pasta salad created a complex texture by contrasting the smoothness of macaroni with the coarseness of beans. The dishes are well balanced between being hearty and light. Which I found to be the perfect compliment to the inevitable cold, misty nights of the Summers that are San Francisco.
Beef Stew ingredients:
1 pd. Hamburger Meat
3 Tomatoes
3 Carrots
4 small Red Potatoes
1 Turnip
2 cups of Water
1 Onion
3-4 cloves of Garlic
1/2 cup of corn
1/2 cup of peas
Herbs, Salt, Red Chili Peppers to taste
Vegan Pasta Salad:
2 cups of Elbow macaroni
1 can of Pinto Beans
2 Tomatoes
1 small Eggplant
1 Carrot
1 Onion
1 Red Bell Pepper
1/2 a bunch of Kale
Terriyaki Sauce
Beef Stew ingredients:
1 pd. Hamburger Meat
3 Tomatoes
3 Carrots
4 small Red Potatoes
1 Turnip
2 cups of Water
1 Onion
3-4 cloves of Garlic
1/2 cup of corn
1/2 cup of peas
Herbs, Salt, Red Chili Peppers to taste
Vegan Pasta Salad:
2 cups of Elbow macaroni
1 can of Pinto Beans
2 Tomatoes
1 small Eggplant
1 Carrot
1 Onion
1 Red Bell Pepper
1/2 a bunch of Kale
Terriyaki Sauce

No comments:
Post a Comment